Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It Feels Good To Be Blogging, My Friends

Hey, dear readers, how's it going? Right now I'm listening to "Rebel, Rebel" by David Bowie, a song I can kind of play on guitar. It sounds weird because it's meant for an electric and I use my mom's acoustic (restrung for my left-handedness, of course).

I'm really hoping to get an electric guitar for Christmas, and since my uncle works at the pawn shop, there's a good chance of that happening. However, he has a bit of an issue with the fact I don't mind playing a right-handed guitar upside-down, and I've gotten into multiple arguments about that with him. He's talked about how the guitar isn't "ergonomic" enough, and that will make playing harder - the weight of a guitar is more likely to mess me up than a corner digging into my ribs will. He also throws around various terms he either read somewhere out of context, or just made up completely. It's kind of infuriating, because he doesn't actually know anything about playing guitar - he only knows the stuff he needs to know to sell it for more money and take it in on pawn for less.

Anyway - on to lighter stuff. High school is going absolutely awesome! The fact all four classes pretty much mingle now has made finding people like myself a bit easier, and I'd say I've made some pretty good friends. The most beneficial thing to making friends was the fabled "Trip To Western". I don't recall if I mentioned it in any posts, but basically the marching band went to Western Michigan University for a weekend and had a ton of insane fun. None of my friends went, forcing me to pretty quickly make some new ones. Fortunately, there's no better place for forging relations than a very fancy hotel at 1 A.M. Euchre is a game made more fun simply by being played in odd places, such as a skywalk or hotel lobby next to a drunk wedding party.

I've yet to do my Christmas shopping, which is a bit concerning. I'm hoping to go with my grandpa this weekend, which is cutting it pretty close. I still have no clue what I'm getting anyone but my mom and my grandparents, but I've gotten a few suggestions. Last year, I got my grandpa to go into Hot Topic with me to get my mom's gifts - that was a riot!

I've been moving both backward and forward in time with music listening lately. I've been getting into modern alternative a bit more lately, because I know that's where I'll probably end up as a musician myself. I need to get to know the terrain a bit, learn the tricks of the trade. I've also been digging bands like The Who and The Rolling Stones, not to mention David Bowie. OK, they're not really of a time period different than I've listened to, but they were always looked over in the past. Just to add on to a lengthy paragraph, I've started to really like Nirvana. A good 25% of the stuff I've learned to play on guitar (acoustic, not my bass) is Nirvana. My only complaint is that they tuned almost all of their songs different than standard, making them unplayable.

Well, I feel a duty to give you a break after all that reading. Be prepared, however, for another post soon. I'm single, I don't have a driver's license, and I've just about read everything funny on Cracked.com, so I should be able to post more often. I think with the approaching winter that will be easier, because it's too cold for anything else to be going on. Good day to you, dear readers!

No comments: