Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Christmas In Review

Yesterday was Christmas! Woohoo! In a very self indulgent manner, allow me to run down how it went.

I was fortunate enough to get the three things I had most emphatically asked for: an electric guitar, a black sweater, and Dr. Marten boots. We'll cover those boots first, because they're the ones currently on my mind the most.


They are 14 eyelets on each side, and take about 10 minutes to put on. They're still quite stiff, and I'm told they take a bit of time to get used to walking in. My uncle said he had a pair just like them when he was younger, and my mom used to wear 8 and 10 eyelet ones.

In an attempt to break them in today, I wore them on a run. Don't worry - I didn't actually try to run. I knew that would be suicide. However, even after walking about a mile, my feet hurt something terrible. I couldn't catch up with my mom when she walked any faster than I was going. She reassured me by reminding me I had my tennis shoes in the car, but I decided not to put them on. A little pain was probably going to be a part of the breaking in process, right?

We went to Barnes & Noble to get fancy coffee after the run/walk, and I still had the boots on. I was fairly certain at that point that my heels were bleeding, but I did not care. I'm somewhat stupid when it comes to pain, especially in the name of fashion. The original punks wouldn't have cared about terrible blisters, although they weren't exactly in a state of mind to feel anything.

Warning: if you get grossed out, don't read the next paragraph.

When I came home, I took those pictures and then took the boots off. I took the right off first, although the left was the foot with the most pain. My right sock had a small spot on it that was greyish-yellowish-red, and when I took it off I saw there was a teeny tiny blister (the grey was from the leather). "Not bad," I thought. Then I took my left boot off. There was an enormous spot on that sock, and a huge blister underneath. A quarter could not have covered the entire thing. Needless to say, I now have two large band-aids on my heels.


That is my new guitar. It's a real Fender Stratocaster, and it's left handed. Apparently it used to be right-handed, but my uncle's friend, from whom he got it, flipped it. I got it about an hour after we got to my Grandparent's house, and I played it continually until we left 5 hours later. My fingertips are horribly shredded, but as you can obviously see, I don't mind my gifts causing me pain.

I started to suspect I was getting a guitar when A) my uncle wouldn't let me go into the spare bedroom to hang up my coat and B) when there was no gift from him, only a guitar case from his cat. Eventually someone pointed the latter out, and he told me to go take a look in his truck. I did. There was nothing there.

I came back in and told him I didn't see what I was looking for, when everyone started laughing and he said, "It's sitting right there." He was pointing at my chair, where it was sitting. He was actually crying, something I've never seen before.

In addition to those two, I received many thoughtful gifts. Plus, the tight black sweater I mentioned! I requested it "to wear while I listen to The Cure and The Bauhaus". It looks great with my black skinny jeans and 14 - eyelet Docs.

I hope everyone out there had a wonderful Christmas, and got to spend it with family and friends.

2 comments:

Diane said...

dude you totally scored! that is a GREAT pic of you with your new guitar!

i can sympathize on the boot thing. once you get them broken in you'll be fine, and you'll probably wear them for years and years til they fall apart!!

glad to hear you had a nice christmas!

ALittleGuitar said...

that's a good uncle!