You may ask, "How can you carry on conversation not knowing someone's name?". Actually, it's shockingly easy. He told me the first lesson, but I was so nervous it completely slipped my mind. Since then, it has been too awkward to ask. As time has passed, that's increased.
I didn't even realize I didn't know it until about a month in, when my mom asked me his name. After my failure to remember, I began planning schemes to try and figure it out. Ask him the spelling? Too risky; what if it's really simple, like Bill? There's no way to misspell that. Of course, I could just ask the shop owner, but that would be like admitting defeat.
At one point, while scheduling a lesson, I was almost caught. The owner asked, "Who's your instructor again?" As I fumbled for an answer, he remembered and continued signing me up, but he didn't actually say it.
My lucky break came very recently, while the owner was on vacation. I was going up to the counter to pay after the lesson, and the temporary guy asked me if Kenny had given me a bunch of homework. Yes!! I didn't even know what he was talking about, but I caught on quick enough.
Of course, there was still the concern that I'd heard him wrong or he had the wrong guy. I ignored those worries, and made sure to drop his name often in conversation with the owner. I even discovered his last name, whilst getting his address to send him a Christmas card. What is it, you ask? Don't know, I already forgot.
Situations like these are way too common for me. Could that possibly be the reason I hate socializing? Too many names...

3 comments:
Don't feel bad, I'm awful with names also. I usually don't even bother asking, lol. There are people from my past who I randomly run in to and that makes for very awkward times.
But yea, don't feel so bad. It happens.
Oh my God that's terrible! I don't think there'd be a problem in asking him his name, though. He'd probably think you're so cool you have a hard time keeping up with all of the names and he'll want to be your friend.
You should use it like a hundred times during your next lesson just to prove you know his name.
"Good afternoon, Kenny. How as your break, Kenny? Did you have a good Christmas, Kenny? Mine was great--thanks, Kenny!"
Of course, then he might think you have a crush on him.
I'd like to kick this comment off my saying that I am obsessed with bass guitar.
Secondly, I have the exact opposite problem.
I pick up and store people's names with surprising accuracy for the longest time.
It's annoying though, because I can't remember one of my best friend's phone number, even though it's only 4 numbers different from my own, but I can remember the kids from my preschool's names.
Forget memorizing Pi...
Funny story though.
Post a Comment