Friday, July 8, 2011

Obligatory Chicago Post: Pt. 1

Hey, readers!! I've put off blogging about all the exciting things that have been going on lately, and I now see where that was a mistake. I'm gonna have to put off posting about those things for a little while longer, because I'm in Chicago right now and feel obligated to post about my experiences so far.

My mom and I took the train here, which was very nice and relaxing as always. We were only 2-ish hours late this time, which isn't too bad as far as the train goes. When we arrived, we walked down to our Chicago friend's office building to drop off our bags. At this point, my mom and I know our way around the city pretty well.

Once we were untethered by our possessions, we wandered around downtown for a few hours. I stopped at a Reckless Records, and got a Flaming Lips CD and 2 Beck CDs. That store is amazing!! Used CDs are automatically better than new ones, because they're cheaper. Afterwards, we went to Buckingham Fountain and watched a dude blow bubbles. He was pretty talented; he had two sticks, with a string web between them. The bubbles produced were HUGE, some bigger than my torso. Of course, those were the bubbles that killjoys liked popping the most.

Later on, we went back to the friend's (Rachel's) office. Her husband Christ picked us up, and we went to Gino's East for some authentic Chicago-style pizza. If you're not familiar with that establishment, let me tell you: it's pretty amazing!! They let you write on all the walls, which creates an interesting look.

We brought 2 Sharpies, but they didn't work terribly well. Next time, I'm gonna bring a paintbrush and model paint...that'll do it. Some friends of Christ and Rachel were meeting us, and we made the mistake of waiting for them to get there before we ordered. Our pizzas took about an hour, but they were TOTALLY worth it. I had some of the Bacon Cheeseburger pizza; my two favorite foods, combined!!

Today, we've so far just taken the train places. We're here in town for the DMB Caravan, which we have tickets for tomorrow and Sunday. of course, I'll fill you in on that much more once it happens. Anyway, We wanted to make the train trip once before hand, so we'd know we could successfully navigate there. We have to take the Metra, which is a high-speed train that is somehow different than the subways and the El. I think it has fewer stops. We got to the venue successfully, and Christ picked us up from there to take us back home. Now we're just chilling at their house, and I'm blogging. nifty, huh?

Ohh, by the way. One of the posts I have yet to write is concerning Crush Of Society, and a trip we recently took to a REAL STUDIO. More on it later, but I wanted to share with you what we got done there so far. They're just instrumentals right now, and they haven't been mixed. Here they are on Bandcamp, where you can download any of our posted songs. Here they are on Facebook, which I strongly encourage you to like. Please!! Also on Facebook is a little bit about our T-shirts. They're $10 if you're local enough I can get them to you without an issue, or $15 if they need to be shipped. Check the stuff out!!

Anyway...I didn't use the Internet AT ALL yesterday, so I have a bit of catching up to do. I'll let you know about the rest of my trip soon!!

4 comments:

RainboRevolver said...

Ahhh Chicago Pizza. I'm so insanely jealous. There's a greta hole-in-the-wall pizza place in Boulder called the Sink. There's sharpie all over the ceiling. People have signed it over the 30-some years it's been there, and if you look really hard, you can find celebrity signatures... I found Robert DeNiro.. anyway. Have a nice day.

Bookish.Spazz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bookish.Spazz said...

Bacon cheeseburger pizza? There are no words to describe how envious I am of you right now.

Oddly, I've never been to Chicago... Whenever my family travels we usually stay in the southern areas, or we go out west towards California.

I don't know. My parent's don't really have the desire to go up north...

And I'm listening to COS's bandcamp right now and I'm really liking the instrumentals you have up! They sound really good!

p.s. I like the piano bits in Zen Stereo :)

That Blond Guy said...

I can't believe you didn't invite me to Chicago. Forgiveness is a process, and it might take you a long time to gain my trust back. I want you to think long and hard about what you've done.

A real studio? That's pretty sweet.

Most importantly, is there really a guy you know whose name is Christ? Wow. I didn't now the second coming of the Messiah would be THAT easy to pick up on.

Looking forward to more blog posts!