Thursday, May 19, 2011

Drew Morgan, Live!!

Man, too long since I've posted...

Last week was my school's spring concert, the Collage Concert. It's a chance for students to show off their talent playing apart from the band, which I did. Since this will be my last year in band, I knew I absolutely had to do something for myself there.

I had planned on doing a cover of "Hallelujah" with my vocally talented friend Leah, and myself on guitar. However, as time went on and I was playing and singing more and more, I decided to do something completely solo - guitar AND vocals. I helped Leah get "Hallelujah" ready for her to do without me, and worked on finding a song for myself. For a while I was considering "Whole Wide World" by Wreckless Eric, because A) it's the first song I ever learned to sing and play, and B) it's incredibly freakin' easy. However, I figured some of the lyrics weren't the best, and worried it would start to get repetitive. So what to play?

Eventually, I landed on the perfect song - "Put Me Back Together" by Weezer. I'd been trying to learn it for a while, but I couldn't find a completely accurate tab out there. I finally found a couple that were half-right, and combined them. Then I played it like crazy, until I had it down pretty well. I took my guitar to band class and played it for a group of 10 or twelve people, and it went down pretty well. Therefore, I was READY TO ROCK!!!

At the concert, I used all my own equipment. Well...sorta. I used a school amplifier, but nothing of mine was plugged into their worse-than-terrible PA system. I had my friend Jarred, a professional musician, do my soundcheck. He went as far up into the bleachers as he could, as far from me as possible. He then told me when it was loud enough, and then had me turn it up MORE. I felt bad for the people in the front, because it was LOUD. Not obnoxious, just a clean guitar and mic turned up to 10 - literally.

[This is where I'd normally post a video, but the one my mom took on her crappy cellphone camera is unlistenable. I can tell that I did well by watching it, but it's horribly static-y and clippy. My bad - I'll have to film myself playing it again sometime and post it!]

My performance went excellently. I think I was the most audible person there, because I was the only person with foresight enough to not use the PA. Also, this was the first time I'd sang to an audience this large, and it was a good choice to wait. Instead of making people listen to me start at terrible and get progressively better, I got really good privately and tried to blow their minds away my first time. Hopefully, that's what I did.

I did screw up a few times, but only one was slightly noticeable. I changed to the wrong chord on the guitar, and then shifted to the right one really fast. I might have gotten away with it if I'd stuck to my mistake, but it a bit more blatant the way it was. Still, I'm so incredibly happy with how I did. Not many people have come up raving to me, but the ones who have are very adamant, and people I virtually never talk to. They're the people who have no reason to fib and tell you you were better than you were, right? All in all, this performance got me really excited about playing for larger crowds. Which segues into my next paragraph nicely...

I found out about a benefit concert in a nearby town this morning, and signed myself up to perform. It's to raise money to pay for a cancer patient's medical bills, which I'm happy to help with. It's June 17th, so I'll be keeping you posted on that.

Woo!! Getting all of this written has re-kindled my excitement, hahahaha! Yeah...sorry about the enthusiasm, you'll have to watch out. Anyway - have good weeks! And to those who are lucky enough to be getting out of school already, don't have too much fun in the sun!!

5 comments:

Bookish.Spazz said...

Your musical endevours excite me!

The fact that you picked a Weezer song to sing just makes you 98798798billion times awesome.

RainboRevolver said...

AHHH WEEZER!! I love them!
Congrats on your first big performance! I can't wait to see a video of you playing, you seem like a pretty talented dude.

PS, this may sound a bit weird, but in what state do you live in? Not being a creeper, I promise, I'm just really curious...

Anyway, have a nice day ;)

That Blond Guy said...

Wow, that's really impressive. Congratulations! And Weezer: nice choice. Rivers Cuomo looks exactly like Buddy Holly.

PS, this may sound a bit weird, but in what state do you live? Not being a creeper, I promise, I'm just really curious...

It may seem like I just copied Julia's comment above me, but really I did her the generous favour of editing out the second "in," because it could have otherwise been considered redundant. You can thank me later, Julia.

Eeshie said...

*fan girl shriek*

OH MY GOSH. THAT'S CRAZY GOOD NEWS! AHH!

I for one, would *totally* go to your concert. No questions asked.

And wow oh wow oh freaking wow. You're insanely musically talented! Seriously. The closest I have to musical talent is humming the theme song for SpongeBob Squarepants. And even that I tend to mess up on...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

:D

Wolfey180 said...

I remeber that Drew! You were amazing!