Saturday, April 23, 2011

Talent Show - Ohh Yeah!

Hey gang, what's happening? [pauses to listen] Sounds like it's been a blast! Unless it hasn't. In which case, I'm very sorry to hear about [insert event].

I was in my school's talent show on Thursday! As the astute readers may know, Stephen and I have been preparing to do a cover of "The Remedy" since November. We got a talented drummer, Jayme, to round us off, and rocked the house.





Right before we went on, we had a bunch of terrifying technical difficulties. When I set up my bass amp, plugged in, and turned it on, no sound came out. Stephen and I spent waaaaay too long trying to fix it, while the audience was waiting right outside the curtain. The teacher who organized it sent charismatic people out in front to keep everyone entertained, while she kept shouting at us "We're losing them!!!" We weren't, really, because they were getting louder and louder, excited. Jayme got sick of waiting, and started drumming loudly. when she did, the audience FREAKED! It was really awesome, actually.

Just as I was about to give up and cry, I adjusted a bolt thingy on my guitar and everything started working. It was turned up super-loud, and as a soundcheck I started playing "Blister In the Sun." I fixed my volume, and the curtains opened up. It was super-intense to be up there, with a full house of around 300-400 people. I was just trying to provide a strong foundation to the song by playing loud, which I thought I did. My amp wasn't as loud as it sounded on stage though, obviously, so a bit of the punchiness was lost. Still, I think I looked awesome up there, grooving and whatnot.

After we left, fellow blogger Tanner went up and played "We Are Going To Be Friends." It...was...AMAZING! He also had amp problems, but instead of panicking, he just moved up closer to the audience and played his acoustic unplugged. Also, because we were still tearing down our setup, he played in front of the closed curtains. The end result was a very emotional, beautiful cover of a song that's great to begin with. He took third, but I'm of the opinion he absolutely deserved first. After the show, Steve, Jayme, Tanner, and I all went to get ice cream at McDonald's and celebrate. Our performance didn't place, but it was so much fun that it didn't matter at all.

In other news, I got an incredibly awesome bag! It's olive drab canvas, and about notebook sized. Yes, it's a man-purse. So convenient! Plus, I feel more sophisticated by carrying it, so there's that.

One final order of business: I'd like to link to all the outstanding blogs I love, so expect that in an upcoming post. If you've linked me recently, fear not, I'm not going to be rude and refuse to return the favor. What kind of horrible person would that make me?

Well, friends...it's looking like we've reached the end of this post. Remember: stay in school!

7 comments:

Eeshie said...

Oh my gosh! You guys are really good!

And I loved how you used the word, "grooving." That just...that just made my day!!

Tanner "Four String Finger Sting" Simmons said...

So much love, I can't even describe it. You guys did a great job, and I'm so proud of all of you. And I'm blown away by the fact that you thought I should have won first. I feel so honored! You guys seriously rocked house, and I'd love to perform "The Remedy" with you some day. Amazing song played by an equally amazing group of friends. Stay golden, Drew!

Bookish.Spazz said...

Hooray for your talent show! My school doesn't believe in them sadly, so I will never be able to preform my standup routine :(

It looks like you had fun, and thanks for the advice on staying in school. I was having serious doubts about the benefits for staying in.

That Blond Guy said...

When I first played it, I listened and though, "Gee, this is awful." Then I thought for a second and realised that I was still playing Velvet Underground on full blast in another window. Both awesome bands, but they just don't miss. Then I paused it, listened, and it was awesome. Congratulations, man.

I admire anyone who's ever been in the talent show. That takes so much courage. I can't even understand it.

Nice job.

Jay said...

awesome, well done!

you have some talent. don't break up in the future. ;)

Boyd said...

@Bookish.Spazz: I'm glad I was able to save someone from dropping out - I now have an inflated "I'm A Hero" ego going on.

@That Blond Guy: You win major brownie points for managing to name-drop The Velvet Underground in your comment!

@Jay: We were more of a one-time lineup, although Stephen and I work together on lots of musical projects.

And of course, to everyone who commented: Thanks!!

Lemons Don't Make Lemonade said...

Wow. Just...WOW.

You guys are awesome.