Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Drew Morgan - Bass Doctor

[Insert huge sigh of relief]

Well, I'm finally to the point where I'm not freaking out about activities any more. Mock trials is over, band has happened, and Math Field Day was last Friday. No, nothing was won. I did have a good time though! Now all that's left is drama club and the pit band. That's all easy, and not at all a worry of mine. Plus, the play is next weekend!

Does anyone recall the hollowbody bass I rescued from an antique shop a few months back? Did I even post about it? Either way, I got a bass guitar that was in serious trouble. The neck of the instrument was so bent out of shape that it was unplayable, the strings were rusted and nasty, and the string-mute foam was rotting away. To top it all off, the poor thing was coated in old cigarette smoke.

Well, your hero saved it. I tore the whole thing apart, and used my experience in woodworking (read: my grandfather's experience) to set the neck straight. I also gave it a good, well-deserved cleaning, and was immaculate. Finally, I bought it some top-of-the-line flatwound strings, to give it that 50's feel. I haven't put foam in it yet, but that's only because I haven't gotten the initiative to find the hunk of foam I used to use in my other bass.

Now, I can use it for pit band! Which is pretty sweet, considering the play we're doing is an early-60's surf thing.

Anyway...I have a humorous post coming soon; you'll just have to be patient!

3 comments:

Eeshie said...

YAY! You just may be able to look into a career on PROFESSIONAL GUITAR-SAVIN'!!

Bookish.Spazz said...

Wow. Dude that is so awesome!

I too love to fix up old antiques... It makes me feel like Dr. Frankenstein...but not angsty.

That Blond Guy said...

That's the most wondrous feeling in the world. Last week I had a test in every class and a monstrous term paper due about analytic psychology. There was all this intense stress building and building for weeks and weeks and then it was just over. And Spring Break.

At least you had a fun time, right? That's what important.