Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Well, You Look Familiar...

For the past two years, I've been getting bass guitar lessons. I go to a local music shop every other week for them, and I'm taught by the same guy every time. For the past two years...I've had no clue what my instructor's name is.

You may ask, "How can you carry on conversation not knowing someone's name?". Actually, it's shockingly easy. He told me the first lesson, but I was so nervous it completely slipped my mind. Since then, it has been too awkward to ask. As time has passed, that's increased.

I didn't even realize I didn't know it until about a month in, when my mom asked me his name. After my failure to remember, I began planning schemes to try and figure it out. Ask him the spelling? Too risky; what if it's really simple, like Bill? There's no way to misspell that. Of course, I could just ask the shop owner, but that would be like admitting defeat.

At one point, while scheduling a lesson, I was almost caught. The owner asked, "Who's your instructor again?" As I fumbled for an answer, he remembered and continued signing me up, but he didn't actually say it.

My lucky break came very recently, while the owner was on vacation. I was going up to the counter to pay after the lesson, and the temporary guy asked me if Kenny had given me a bunch of homework. Yes!! I didn't even know what he was talking about, but I caught on quick enough.

Of course, there was still the concern that I'd heard him wrong or he had the wrong guy. I ignored those worries, and made sure to drop his name often in conversation with the owner. I even discovered his last name, whilst getting his address to send him a Christmas card. What is it, you ask? Don't know, I already forgot.

Situations like these are way too common for me. Could that possibly be the reason I hate socializing? Too many names...

3 comments:

Kindros said...

Don't feel bad, I'm awful with names also. I usually don't even bother asking, lol. There are people from my past who I randomly run in to and that makes for very awkward times.

But yea, don't feel so bad. It happens.

That Blond Guy said...

Oh my God that's terrible! I don't think there'd be a problem in asking him his name, though. He'd probably think you're so cool you have a hard time keeping up with all of the names and he'll want to be your friend.

You should use it like a hundred times during your next lesson just to prove you know his name.

"Good afternoon, Kenny. How as your break, Kenny? Did you have a good Christmas, Kenny? Mine was great--thanks, Kenny!"

Of course, then he might think you have a crush on him.

Jillian said...

I'd like to kick this comment off my saying that I am obsessed with bass guitar.

Secondly, I have the exact opposite problem.
I pick up and store people's names with surprising accuracy for the longest time.

It's annoying though, because I can't remember one of my best friend's phone number, even though it's only 4 numbers different from my own, but I can remember the kids from my preschool's names.
Forget memorizing Pi...

Funny story though.