Thursday, January 20, 2011

Observations Of Politics

So, last night was the State of the State. I took the day off school, and got to Lansing around 1 so I could do a bit of shopping before it. The governor's address itself was interesting, but everything else involved wasn't. I had to get to the floor (actually, the balcony) at 5:30, but he didn't actually start speaking until 7. I was advised to bring my phone with me and text, but no one would text me because they knew where I was and didn't want to interrupt.

I also had to deal with way too many politicians, all of whom were incredibly fake and smarmy. They all assumed I entered the essay contest because I'm interested in a career in politics, which just isn't true. Now I want that career even less, because of the horrible examples I saw yesterday.

Anyway, I took notes before and during the speech, mostly for the sake of this blog. Here they are, with my day-after comments underneath. And, photos!

This is me with the Senator who took me, leaning casually on the President Pro Tempore's desk
  • "Woah, there's a dude with a hook-hand sitting up front down there!"
[When I re-read this, it seemed a little mean sounding. It's not intended that way, but in a "that's awesome!" way. I actually read about a politician in similar circumstances who ran with the slogan "Hooked on So-and-so!"]
  • "I have the song "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails stuck in my head...not a good song to be humming while on the House floor..."
[I got the CD that song is on at a record shop earlier in the day, and was listening to it on the way there. I doubt anyone there would recognize it, unless they had to listen to it while trying to get it censored.]


The other contest winner, as well as our respective parents
  • "State government's version of the secret service is way different from federal; for one thing, they're all wearing red jackets. Some are bright read, while others are a more subdued shade of burgundy...I'm guessing the shade has to do with authority?"
[All the security dudes looked like bellhops, other than the things in their ears...]
  • "Apparently, the House is divided with Republicans on one side and Democrats on the other. I hadn't intended to sit on the Democratic side, but I'm kind of glad I did..."
[It was kind of funny, actually, considering the Senator who took me is a Republican.]

OK, that's pretty much it for notes and observations. There will probably be an article in the local paper about my trip, so when that is published I'll link to it. That way you can get all my opinions on the Governor's actual talking points, without me having to write them out!

2 comments:

That Blond Guy said...

This is so incredibly cool, man. Congrats on all of this.

But yeah, I don't think I'd ever want to be a politician. Unless I was a really weird one, like Robin Williams in "Man of the Year."

Jillian said...

Awesome!! I'm sure you deserved it.

I agree on all the political phoniness though.
Disgusts me when I see political commercials all claiming to have the answer.