Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snowed-In Sunday

Lazy, snow storm day today. I woke up at 8 this morning, and I haven't left the house since. Shockingly, there's only so much time you can spend on the Internet before it gets really boring.
To make things worse, our DVD player is starting to break. Fortunately, we made it all the way through Scott Pilgrim before it did. I'm not sure what I would watch if it was working, but it would probably be better that the three channels I get over the air.

To make things worse, I'm at a loss for bookage. I have been reading the His Dark Materials series, but I finished them Friday night. Looking past the very controversial aspects of the series, they're incredibly captivating and great. I was completely sucked in by the writing, and now I can't think of anything that will be able to fill the hole they left. I seem to recall having similar problems last time I read them, although that time I didn't know how they ended and was even more crushed by the sad ending. I picked up Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman to read earlier, and I'm hoping the short stories will ease the transition back into reading again.

To make things worse, I loaned Bobby my only microphone, so I can't make any more recordings. I suppose that's for the best, considering my voice is completely shot. Mixing a persistent asthma cough, a possibility of tonsillitis, and about half a gallon of Arnold Palmer spells out serious issues for my throat.

To make things worse, now I'm disguising an average post about a lazy Sunday as a theme post. Hopefully, the ends justify the means!

5 comments:

That Blond Guy said...

FINALLY! A blogger with a good taste in books! I loved His Dark Materials. I didn't mind the controversial themes either. I'm at that stage religion-wise where I'm so skeptical and liberal that I feel the same way about my fellow Christians that most Christians feel about atheists.

Book suggestions:
-American Gods
-It's Kind of a Funny Story
-Impulse
-The Lost Symbol
-The Shining
-A Clockwork Orange
-Or just anything written by David Sedaris.

The best snow we've been getting are tiny, three-minute flurries that you can hardly see.

Boyd said...

Thanks a ton for the suggestions! I think that's the first time someone has actually tried to help me with reader's block.

2, 5, and 6 are three of my favourite books. Actually, after reading It's Kind Of A Funny Story, I had a similar problem finding a new book to read.

As for the rest of the books, I've heard great things about all of them. I think I'll take your suggestion and go find one of the David Sedaris books my mom has laying around. I'd go to the library and check out some of the others, but I'm still trapped at home.

bart said...

FRagile things i give a 2 thumbs up.

Kassandrah said...

It's Kind Of A Funny Story... is one of my favourite books too. :D

I'm very fond of guys that actually read.
and like Scott Pilgrim.
and blog.
This makes you very high on my list of new favourite people.

Seriously, would it be creepy if I emailed you and introduced myself in an attempt to start some kind of amazing conversation?

The Kid In The Front Row said...

It could be worse.