Monday, January 11, 2010

What's Been Up Lately

Quizbowl season has started! at the high school, it's a fall activity. We've been training for a couple of weeks, but our first real match was last Thursday. Woohoo!

I'd forgotten how time-consuming Stumble Upon can be. I had finally read through a large part of the Cracked archives, and turned to it as a possible source of entertainment. Turns out it still wastes my time as much as last year. I have found a lot of stuff that - literally - makes me laugh out loud. Mostly demotivational posters, funny test answers, that sort of thing; every one I read fills me with an urge to force those around me to listen to me reading them aloud. I've gotten good at fighting the temptations to bore others, but sometimes I'm human.

I've also been strumming away at the guitar a lot lately. Who'da thought getting an electric would increase my appreciation for the acoustic? Me either.

I've been reading actual books much more lately, which has been nice. However, I'm a bit stuck as to what to read. For some reason, I've been having a hard time getting at all interested in anything that isn't a classic. This is kind of a problem, because A) there aren't too many out there I find appealing and B) I feel a bit like a pompous jerk stating I only like classics.

Just for the record, I don't just like classics. I really love pop-culture related books, both fiction and non-fiction, as well as science fiction and fantasy. The former is actually my absolute favourite genre, but that's the kind of stuff that isn't carried by school libraries. The latter tends to be difficult for me to get into, unless there's also humour. Did I not mention that? I love the funny stuff as well.

Well, I feel I've reached the perfect ratio of length to interesting-ness. Yes, I just made a new word. Feel free to submit it to Websters, I'm sure they'll recognize it's brilliance.

No comments: