Saturday, October 3, 2009

Homecoming Dance

Tonight was my first High School dance. Usually before dances I am nervous and pace a lot, but I managed to keep myself occupied at work all day. My only major problem was that of my health, because all week I've been fighting with a cold/allergies. Also, last night was the homecoming football game, and I virtually destroyed my voice with cheers and cadences for band. I am not exaggerating when I say I was incredibly happy to get an entire raspy sentence out without my voice just disappearing. Fortunately, I got my voice to come back at least a little in time for the dance. Well, I was at least understandable.

When I got out of the car in front of the school at 7:30 sharp, I walked up to the giant crowd of people getting checked in by two guys I'd never met, and only seen in the halls once or twice. The one who seemed to be more talkative turned to me and asked "Do you play drums?" I told them no, I was a bassist. "Oh, we need a drummer for our band. You look like a drummer. Isn't it hard to find a drummer in this school?" We then went into a long discussion about drumming, and each of our respective bands. Keep in mind, I had no clue who these dudes were and they didn't know me. They were basing the entire conversation on looks. It turns out they were in a band with a friend of mine that also plays bass, which I found interesting.

The line to check in was about 15 minutes long, I kid you not. The air was really thick with a mix of every brand of perfume and cologne people were wearing, prompting the thought "smells like teen spirit." (yes, I'm a dork, get over it.) I went with Courtney as my date, of course, but we didn't actually arrive together. This was due to a lack of planning on my part, with us basically just saying we'd find each other once we got there. This was not a good plan. There were over 500 students in there, and I was starting to wonder if we'd even see each other at all in the entire 3 and a half hours. Thankfully we did, because I got there first and waited near the entrance for her along with my other friends who made similar foolish plans.

How can one really say much more about a dance? It was crazy! The differences between J.H. and High School continue to present themselves. At this, there were almost no people awkwardly standing to one side of the dance floor, refusing to dance. I was outside the main mosh, but I still busted a groove with everyone else. Apparently, the trick to it is being an idiot while moving your limbs in a semi-coordinated manner.

I showed up to the dance dressed all nicely,


but before long I had my tie loosened, and my shirt was untucked with the top button undone. All the dancing I did really takes it out of you! It became warmer and warmer in the room as the night wore on, which I mostly blame on extreme physical activity taking place.

Fast forward to the end of the dance. I really didn't want it to end, because it was so fun. As we walked out, the air was once again thick with the smell of teen spirit, only this time in a less perfumed manner. I turned to Courtney and stated, "This will make such a good blog post!"

No comments: