Tuesday, May 19, 2009

8th Grade Awards

Wow, two posts in a week. Freaky, right? I'm trying to write more often, to make my readers happy people. Also, this is something I want to blog about while it's still semi-in my head.




Monday night was our 8th grade awards ceremony, which is like a small-scale graduation. Everyone dresses nice, we all get awards and stuff, it's very well run. I have always enjoyed awards ceremonies, because, well, I tend to get recognized a lot. I'm a bit of an attention whore, so this works well for me. This year there was a major award up for grabs, the Ted Stine award, and there were ten people eligible. I was one of them, and had made getting it my personal goal. More on it later, if you'll bear with me.




I was dressed for success, with an all black outfit. The only non-black article of clothing I had on was my awesome red skinny tie, as can be seen in my profile. I also had my black studded punk belt on, although I took off the screaming skull bottle opener belt buckle before hand. I doubt I would have been able to find a situation that night that it would have been necessary to risk spilling a liquid all over my crotch just to open a bottle.




Before it started, both the band and choir performed. Band played a song we've been working on the last few weeks, called "Rock Around The Clock". Despite the name, it's a pretty jazzy piece, with a trumpet solo in the middle. It sounded great, although both the other trumpet and I were a little nervous. The choir sang some song after that, with lots of solos. Then, the ceremony officially started, and we played the Star Spangled Banner (well, I might add). We also played one more song, a medley of songs from Grease. It transitioned into Pomp And Circumstance, a little trick we planned that no one but the band knew about. It was great!




After that was really the focusing moment of the ceremony, for me. They called up the Class officers, and recognized us all. Then, the teacher in charge turned and said, "Now Drew, I believe you have a few words?" I said yes, and headed to the podium. I had figured giving my speech wouldn't be that horrible, because I enjoy public speaking. However, I've never spoken to a PACKED gymnasium in front of all my teachers, fellow classmates, and everybody's parents. I'm shaking just writing about it, quite honestly. Every single person I've spoken to has said I sounded incredibly confident, and really relaxed. The reason they think that is because they weren't close enough to see my entire body shake. I've never been so nervous, and I was the whole way through. My last line was "Honestly, this classes' future is so bright, I'm gonna need shades" and I had planned on pulling a pair of sunglasses that I had conveniently hidden up there and putting them on. I had them up there, but I just couldn't do it. Everyone tells me I should have, and I respond by saying "If I had moved and inch, my knees would have given out". 100 percent of my concentration was on keeping my voice calm.


Halfway through it, right after I thanked the principals, the audience erupted in applause. Umm...I'm not done yet!! I held up my hand to try and silence them, but it did nothing. I actually considered just ending the speech there, but I spent too long on it to do that. I finished it, and was pleased with the applause.

After that was the part where everyone walked up and got their packet 'o' certificates. It was boring as all get out, because there are about 150 kids in our class. I was fidgety, too, because the next award was the one I had been waiting for. It was the Ted Stine one I mentioned earlier. In order to get it, you have to have a 4.o (except for in algebra 1, because that's a high school class), show leadership qualities, participate in extracurricular activities, and have no major discipline problems.

I achieved all of those (yay), and it pretty much came down between this one girl I don't really know and I. She got it, but they gave all ten people eligible a plaque. Ashley was another one of the canidates. Really, I'm OK with just the plaque. I think she got it because, well, she is a bit less of a trouble maker. Award winning students tend not to wear biker jackets, possess a rock and roll attitude, and talk as much as me. Now it's time to work at Valedictorian, ha ha.

The past few days I've felt a bit like a celebrity, what with all the congrats I've been getting on the speech. I was really proud of myself, and I think that's good.

2 comments:

Eve Noir said...

Congrats on your sorta-award...well, getting a plaque is pretty much the same thing, right?

I don't think she should've got it just cuz you guys dress different & your attitude may not be the same either (not that your attitude is bad).

Best of luck on reaching your next goal!

Oh & YAY for posting more here! :) AND, give Ashley a congrats from me too!

Ashley <3 said...

I really liked your speech. aha. Me and Joe V were talking about the shades thing today. bahhaha