Thursday, April 16, 2009

CD Review: The Black Parade


OK, I know I haven't done a CD review in, well, forever, but I've got nothing to really write about. Plus, this CD has an interesting story to go with it. Interesting in my head anyway, maybe not in words.


So, the album's name is The Black Parade. It's by My Chemical Romance, a band I've never listened to before. I'm not into the whole emo-pop movement, and they are. However, one day while IMing, Ashley told me I should watch a music video, of the song Welcome To The Black Parade. I did, and was pleasantly surprised. It had all the makings of a good song: slow piano intro, cool lyrics, sudden change in tempo, and a sweet video.


I still didn't really care much about the band after this, however. I didn't get re-interested in them again until, one day while cruising The Wall's Wikipedia page (ya'know - to see if anything was added) when I saw the song The End off The Black Parade compared to In The Flesh? off The Wall. I immediately became curious, because that's one of my favourite songs to listen to.


I pulled up The Black Parade's Wikipedia page, and read a little about it. Turns out it's a concept album, which tends to be a major selling point to me. I'm not sure why, I just think any band that puts that much effort into an album deserves recognition by me. I also saw the main character of the live show compared to Bob Geldof in The Wall, which was cool. I had to hear this album.


I recently discovered something: on MySpace Music, you can listen to almost any album, in it's entirety, for free. So, I went there and pulled up the album. As I started listening, I grew more and more dis-interested. "This isn't art!" I said to myself. "It's just loud, obnoxious noise!! There's no plot line!!"


However, I kept coming back. I listened to it again and again, compelled to for some strange reason. The songs kept getting stuck in my head, and I found myself humming them. I almost bought it, at one point, when my mom and I were at Best Buy. We were looking for the new Killers CD, and while looking at other stuff we came across The Black Parade. I told her I really wanted it, and since she was getting 2 CDs, couldn't I as well? We decided to head on over to F.Y.E., to see if they had it used. To make a long story short, they didn't, and it was more expensive brand new. So, we went home, me without it.


I had it all justified in my head, that I didn't want it, anyway, but I still kept listening to it. By the day before the trip to Lansing, I knew I had to own it. I asked my mom if she would pick it up from the store for me while I was at the range, and although she said she wasn't going to, she did. 'Cause she's cool like that.


Now, I've listened to it almost 45 times. I was listening to it as my grandparent's store was robbed, I listened to it most of the drive to Lansing, and I listened to it as I ran the 5K. I've got favourites chosen, and all that good stuff.


I'm not going to lie: it's a bit loud for my tastes. But, it is infectious. It went from despised to loved in just a few weeks. I've also been noticing a lot more talent hidden under the obnoxious rhythm guitar. The lyrics are brilliant, the basic sound of each song is well-chosen, the piano provides a great base.


So, in all, I give it a:

4.245 out of 5 stars

I recommend you buy it, or at least check it out on MySpace music. It's pretty darn good.

4 comments:

Diane said...

ok, hold on. your grandparents store was robbed???!!! :(

i am of the opinion that you, sir, have wonderful taste in music. therefore, i will be checking this out asap. especially with that 4.245 rating!! ;)

i love when i fall in love with a song/album. like at first it's ookaaaaay, or maybe even totally sucks, but then it just manages to sneak it's way into my brain and my heart! thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Wow...your mom sounds pretty cool.

Ashley <3 said...

WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY MY FATHER TOOK ME INTO THE CITY TO SEE A MARCHING BAND HE SAID SON WHEN YOU GROW UP WILL YOU BE THE SAVIOR OF THE BEATEN THE BROKEN AND THE DAMNED HE SAID WILL YOU DEFEAT THEM THOSE DEMONS AND ALL THE NON BELIEVERS THE PLANS THAT THEY HAVE MADE BECAUSE ONE DAY I'LL LEAVE YOU A PHANTOM TO LEAD YOU IN THE SUMMER TO JOIN THE BLACK PARADE...
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ^_^
hehehe
That was the song I wrote on those one pants!! ahaha

sleepyjane said...

Your mom sounds like mine.

I get a call from her the other day and she's all;

"I'm in Phase 2 (music store) in the alternative and metal aisle, is there something you want?"

Had a look at your list of fav bands and I have to say, you have great taste.

Also, I love The Black Parade. I think it's one of MCR's best albums.