Friday, March 6, 2009

Movie Review: Watchmen


Hey, so I just got home from seeing the movie Watchmen. I had no idea I was even going to until I read it on my mom's blog...It was pretty good. Therefore, I decided to do a review. Congrats, in that you happen to follow my blog and are lucky enough to be able to read this.
My first comment is definitely going to have to do with the fact it was rated "R" for a reason. Nudity, violence, profanity, the whole nine yards. My question is this: why did Dr. Manhattan stop wearing his only article of clothing about 10 minutes into the movie? Why was he even nude in the first place? Bruce Banner wore clothes even though he knew there was a risk he would suddenly become a giant and rip them, so why couldn't this super-hero? Whatever.
The violence was, well, violent. I hate gore, with the exception of really fake gore. This was really fake gore. It wasn't the Monty Python-style "made to be fake" stuff, but it was still quite crappy. Humans do not explode in the manner shown, nor does blood spray. It was very CGI.
The actual story took place in an alternate-universe version of the 80's, and they did a pretty good job with continuity. I'm glad I know so much about that time, and all the pop-culture, because otherwise I wouldn't have gotten half the jokes in it. As it was, I needed a lot of the political stuff explained.
It was a pretty good film, overall. I give it a:
4 out of 5 stars
It was good, just not five stars good. Great soundtrack, though.

3 comments:

AbhI said...

wow is it worth going to theatres, any way it will another few months to hit Indian theatre!!

taitle said...

Wicked ^_^

and maybe Manhattan just had to let it all out? :D

I hate it when they do those fake-blood sprays scene. Although remember the unrealistic blood in 300?

coffee said...

I kept thinking that the guy who played the Comedian was Javier Bardem (I found out later that it's actually Jeffrey Dean Morgan), but the two actors definitely look alike