Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another Review - The Wall


I know it was more than three months ago that I told you I would review Pink Floyd's The Wall, but I've been busy. Deal with it.

Anyway, I should start this review by stating that this is my favourite CD. I own three different versions of it, as well as the movie and a VHS tape of the live concert. Now, let's get down to business. I like this CD because of the story it tells. It is the perfect example of a concept album, with all of the songs telling the tale of the life of Pink, a fictional character. He is scarred by the loss of his father in the war, the cruelty of his teachers, the over-protectiveness of his mother, and his wife's' cheating on him. To protect himself, he builds a mental wall to keep from getting hurt. After an OD, he starts hallucinating he is a dictator much like the one responsible for his father's death. After getting tired or afraid of that particular idea, he puts on a mental trial for himself to determine whether blocking out those who loved him was justified. After having his teacher, wife, and mother appear to testify against him, the judge of the mental court rules that he was in error, and should tear down the wall. After a short song about how everyone puts up their own version of a wall, the CD ends. Does Pink live happily ever after, go back to his old ways, or even survive the tearing down of the wall? I don't know. I do know, however, that it's not exactly a happy album, so why would it have a happy ending? The next album by Pink Floyd, The Final Cut, may offer some insight. During the song the album's titled after, it has a gunshot sound effect covering up the lyrics, "I'll tell you what's behind the Wall." Did Pink end it all for good? I like to think not.

So , all in all i give this album a...

Five out of five

I think it's pretty awesome, and so do a lot of people.

No comments: